It's the day before Easter, and one of the network channels is airing The Ten Commandments like they do every year. And for the first time in a while, I decided to sit down and watch it. And you know what? I started to think that Moses made the wrong decision...
If Moses had decided not to explore the life of the slave, and to remain in the palace, he would probably have become pharoah, and from the throne of Egypt, he would have been able to do far more for the Hebrews than from amongst their ranks... As pharoah, he would have been able to free them, provide reparations, spread the wealth, etc...
But that would have been efforts of an Egyptian Pharoah, bestowing grace on Hebrew slaves. It would not have been the work of God... Without Moses' "Let My People Go" campaign, we would not have had the 10 plagues, or the 10 comandments. The Hebrews would have been in power in Egypt, and kingdom of Israel would have never come into being... David and Solomon would not have come, and from David's line came Jesus Christ. So, while in the short run, Moses' decision to stand with his family seems futile, in the short run, it laid the way for the forgiveness of all our sins.
So, really, law school has screwed up the way I watch movies, because the human rights advocate me always thinks of the fastest way to solve the problem... The fastest way to ease the suffering of the poor and forgotten... And since I'm not God, I don't have the power of all-knowing wisdom and I don't have the blueprints to the meaning of life.
The 'conflicted' Wig
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment